Hi! We’re The Reef-World Foundation: a registered UK charity which delivers practical solutions for marine conservation around the world. We are a small but highly effective team of passionate and dedicated individuals who are driven by achieving lasting conservation impacts in areas of the world where it is needed the most. We started working with local fishing communities in Thailand in 1999. Today we operate across 14 countries, supporting governments, businesses and communities to sustainably develop their coastal resources.
In partnership with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), we are the international coordinatorof the Green Fins initiative, which aims to protect and conserve coral reefs through environmentally friendly guidelines that promote a sustainable diving and snorkelling tourism industry. Our vision for Green Fins is to make sustainable diving and snorkelling the social norm.
Our work involves supporting, inspiring and empowering governments, businesses, communities andindividuals around the world to act in conserving and sustainably developing coral reefs and other coastal resources.
The Reef-World Foundation is subject to UK employment law.
Reef-World’s Core Values
- We empower our colleagues, our stakeholders, our partners and our supporters to have conservation impact.
- We collaborate. Our approach is not competitive – the more we collaborate, the stronger the conservation impact we will have.
- We are innovative. We explore new ways to grow and harness new technology that helps us do so. We are not afraid to break from the norm, and use innovative approaches, to achieve conservation impact.
- We stay optimistic in our decision-making and in our approach to tackling global conservation issues.
- We seek to inform. The messages we bring to the public’s attention are based on sound science.We strive to keep ourselves informed and in tune with the latest science and approaches.
We’re currently looking for a Digital Community Officer to support our Digital Strategy Manager and the wider Reef-World team to help maximise our digital conservation impact.
The Green Fins initiative drives sustainable behaviours for environmental protection by providing low-cost and practical solutions to local and industry-wide environmental challenges associated with the marine tourism industry. To date, trained Green Fins Assessors have verified operators in-person every year. Thisworks but isn’t scalable, so Reef-World is building digital membership for the Green Fins initiative to be delivered by a new digital platform called the Green Fins Hub.
When the Hub launches, the Digital Community Officer will be an active participant in the discussion as a moderator and facilitator while also providing customer service and day to day management of the Hub’sadministration. We expect the Green Fins Hub to shape the future of sustainable marine tourism globally, andthe Digital Community Officer will be the voice for this. They will also communicate with the Green Fins national teams (usually local government and NGO staff members) to facilitate their interaction with the Hub.
The Digital Community Officer will be passionate about protecting coral reefs and the incredible marine life they support because of their ecological value as well as for the benefit of our stakeholders – local communities, visitors, and future generations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Green Fins Hub coordination lead
● Hub community forum management
- Be Reef-World’s voice behind the online Green Fins community.
- Work with the Digital Strategy Manager and Programmes Manager to refine and implement the community strategy so that Reef-World builds an active, vibrant and inclusive community of Green Fins operator members.
- Gather and share insights from across the organisation to inform decision making.
- Propose improvements to the Hub user experience to maximise the conservation impact of the platform.
- Represent and champion community opinion within Reef-World.
- Work with network teams, community collaborators, and partners to facilitate their participation in the Hub community.
● Hub membership management
- To ensure that any issues onboarding or request emails to firstname.lastname@example.org are swiftly dealt with.
- Support the Green Fins National Teams to verify Green Fins Certified Membership applications and add assessment action plan points and score info onto the Hub (data inputting).
● Hub action plan oversight
- Monitor and encourage progress of Hub users and proactively contact members who appear to be underperforming or not engaging with their action plans
- Support the Reef-World team in creating and maintaining the conditions to ensure effective teamwork and morale following Reef-World’s core values.
- Support administration duties for project and programme development and implementation in project sites as instructed.
- Support reporting of Reef-World activities to the Trustees, UNEP and other grant sources.
The employee’s duties may from time to time be reasonably modified as necessary to meet the needs of the Charity and/or associated project.
What We’re Looking For
We’re on the lookout for someone who is passionate about conserving coral reefs and the marine life and local communities they support. The individual will be dedicated to using Reef-World’s digital tools andassets to inspire and empower long term changes in behaviour and business practices in line with the code of conduct, throughout the Green Fins network.
This person will have 1-3 years of experience in online community management. They will be a proactive and resourceful team member able to work independently and remotely across multiple time zones whilemaintaining strong communications with international team members.
Online community management experience is more important than technical skills.
Skills and Experience
- Prior experience in online community management;
- Previous knowledge of the diving or marine tourism industry;
- Strong communication skills;
- Team player;
- Able to effectively manage workloads and ask for help when needed;
- Fluent English speaker; other languages are a bonus;
- Good written English and research skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to use Google Workspace (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Mail);
- Committed to equity, diversity and inclusion; and:-
- Open to new experiences, adaptable and a sense of humour!
- Virtual event organisation;
- Data analysis skills;
- Technical background in software engineering, open source, or linux server administration;
- A certified scuba diver;
- Knowledge of, or experience in, the marine conservation sector; and:-
- Prior experience working with governments and/or NGOs.
Reef-World believes that a team with diverse experiences and backgrounds generates richer discussionsand more nuanced thinking that will magnify our conservation impact. We strive to be an inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcome and respected. We are an equal
opportunity employer and welcome applications from anyone with the required skills and experience:whatever their background. We actively encourage applications from those whose identities reflect the diversity of the communities and networks we serve and whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in the conservation sector.
How to Apply
Please email your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com. In your application, please include howyou meet the job specifications and why you feel you’re the best person to help us boost our global conservation impact.
We will then get back to you after the team has reviewed your application and let you know if we would like to pursue your application. Due to the expected volume of incoming enquiries, the charity does not have the resources to provide feedback on applications that have not been accepted. If you do not hear from us by 3 Jun 2022, then take note that we have decided not to take your application further, and we wish you the best of luck in your career.
Applications close 13 May 2022.
Interviews (online) week commencing 16 May 2022.