Job Title: Communications Manager
Location: Dumaguete City, Philippines (option for role to be fully or partially remote)
Salary: £19,000 – £24,000 GBP per annum, dependent on experience
Contract Length: Permanent (Full Time) following a 3-month probation period
Job Start Date: 1 Mar 2023 (or early as possible)
Reporting to: Directors
Closing date for applications: 8 Jan 2023
Hi! We’re The Reef-World Foundation, a registered UK charity which delivers practical solutions for marine conservation around the world. We are a small but highly effective team of passionate and dedicated individuals who are driven by achieving lasting conservation impacts in areas of the world where it is needed the most. We started working with local fishing communities in Thailand in 1999. Today we operate across 14 countries, supporting governments, businesses and communities to sustainably develop their coastal resources.
In partnership with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), we are the international coordinator of the Green Fins initiative, which aims to protect and conserve coral reefs through environmentally friendly guidelines that promote a sustainable diving and snorkelling tourism industry. The reality is that coral reefs couldbe gone in your lifetime – if they go, the health and wellbeing of people and the planet go with them. Reef-World is working to buy more time for coral reefs to thrive by mobilising collective, urgent and wilful action through the marine tourism industry.
Our work involves supporting, inspiring and empowering governments, businesses, communities and individualsaround the world to act in conserving and sustainably developing coral reefs and other coastal resources.
The Reef-World Foundation is subject to UK employment law.
Reef-World’s Core Values
- We empower our colleagues, our stakeholders, our partners and our supporters to have conservation impact.
- We collaborate. Our approach is not competitive – the more we collaborate, the stronger the conservation impact we will have.
- We are innovative. We explore new ways to grow and harness new technology that helps us do so. We are not afraid to break from the norm and use innovative approaches, to achieve conservation impact.
- We stay optimistic in our decision-making and in our approach to tackling global conservation issues.
- We seek to inform. The messages we bring to the public’s attention are based on sound science. Westrive to keep ourselves informed and in tune with the latest science and approaches.
The Communications Manager plays a key role within the organisation, shaping and leading the delivery of all aspects of communications and outreach related to Reef-World and its programmes, with a primary focus on Green Fins.
Coral reefs could be gone in your lifetime – if they go, the health and wellbeing of people and the planet go with them.A strategic-thinking and creative Communications Manager will continue to shape and lead Reef-World’s communications to address this reality.
The Communications Manager leads the development and distribution of Reef-World’s communication content topromote the work of the Charity. Additionally, they will work with the Programmes team to oversee the development and distribution of outreach content and materials supporting Reef-World’s programmes and partnerships, informed by cutting-edge behavioural change and evidence-based approaches to result inempowering more individuals to take action for environmental protection around the world.
The main responsibilities of this role are:
- Lead Reef-World’s communications
- Provide management and mentorship to Reef-World’s Communications team
- Deliver Reef-World’s communications output in line with Reef-World’s strategic plan
- Contribute to Reef-World’s strategic planning
In addition to the primary role, the Communications Manager will also support the implementation of Green Finsalongside country partners and teams consisting of government representatives and NGO’s.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Communications and Outreach
- Manage all articles and publications; with the support of the Reef-World team, release compelling contentthat works across a variety of channels (press releases, news, blogs, articles, publications)
- Lead development of The Reef-World Public Annual Report
- Lead on stakeholder engagement, public relations, digital and communication campaigns, engaging arange of audiences across a diverse set of geographies and platforms
- Ensure all content is on-brand (Reef-World and its Programmes where applicable) and consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice
- Act as the primary communications contact for outreach partners (press and media), Green Fins partners(dive and snorkel operators and dive professionals), general public and symbiotic partners
- Campaign design, development, implementation; based on results from analysis of current and pastcommunication campaigns / social marketing research (or similar)
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation of communication campaign uptake and impact using existing softwareand programmes (Sprout, Sendinblue, Google analytics etc) with a view to increasing our followers and overall reach.
- Design new, manage current and oversee production of marketing, outreach and capacity buildingmaterials associated with Reef-World Programmes (e.g. Green Fins materials)
- Oversee management of the content of Reef-World’s digital communications assets (social media accounts and websites)
- Design collateral for conferences, dive and travel shows and international conservation events
- Support in training and capacity building for Green Fins as required
- Work closely with Green Fins partners (dive and snorkel centres, NGOs, national and local authorities) toshare lessons across active countries, support implementation and provide technical advice for enhanced conservation impact
- Document, report and carry out administration duties for Reef-World’s Programmes development in as instructed by the Programmes Manager
- Support the Programmes team in the monitoring of impact and uptake of all online tools and report on findings where necessary
- Maintain data management systems in line with Reef-World’s Programmes
- Supervise and manage the Reef-World Communications team
- Maintain effective communication with Communications team members through regular 1-1s, organisationand team meetings, team socials and coffee meetings – following the standard internal protocols for each of these
- Support the Directors in ensuring all Communications team members understand their roles, are engaged in Reef-World’s strategic direction/ goals and, fulfil their responsibilities in line with their personal annual targets
- Oversee the recruitment and and onboarding of new Communications team members staff as required
- Create the conditions to ensure effective teamwork and morale in line with Reef-World’s Culture of Care
- Support the Directors in appraising and improving the performance of Reef-World’s Communications team
Culture of Care
- Ensure the definition and validity of wellbeing days is fully understood among Communications staff
- Champion reflection days
- Ensure communication and methods of working with other staff is informed by insights gained from TypeCoach personality analysis
- Champion the support provided by the Reef-World team coach
- Use and champion internal communications platforms and channels, ensuring they are fully embedded in to daily working life of the Communications team and provides an effective two-way flow of information with staff
- Utilise internal communication platforms and channels to maintain regular communicationbetween Reef-World pillar teams, Managers and the Directors
Fundraising and Networking
- Assist with identifying fundraising opportunities through relevant grants and private sector donations for Reef-World projects including but not limited to Green Fins.
- Support the delivery of Reef-World’s Sustainability Strategy
- Monitor and refine the effectiveness of Reef-World’s online donation tools
- To represent Reef-World at exhibitions, shows and events
- Ensure organised accounting and reimbursement of all Reef-World expenses to the Directors
- Support reporting of Reef-World activities to the Trustees, UNEP and other grant sources.
The employee’s duties may from time to time be reasonably modified as necessary to meet the needs of the Charity and/or associated project.
What We’re Looking For
We’re on the lookout for someone who is passionate about conserving coral reefs and the marine life and localcommunities they support. The successful candidate will be a confident marketer with 3-5 years of experience in conservation or environmental communications management.
You should be a proactive and resourceful leader and team player, able to work independently and remotely across multiple time zones while maintaining strong communications with international team members. You will naturally approach tasks with a sense of curiosity, patience and the ability to consider the bigger picture impact ofyour work. You’ll be open to new experiences and adventures, adaptable and have a good sense of humour!
Skills and Experience
- Prior experience in conservation / environmental communications;
- Strong copywriting (English, UK), editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing / publishing skills, including the ability to present concepts verbally;
- A certified scuba diver;
- Experience working in multiple locations around the world and / or within international teams;
- Prior experience in leadership and management;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Excellent organisational and planning skills;
- Superior project management and time management skills;
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude;
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management;
- Possess good interpersonal skills, agility to think and act strategically;
- Confident communicator and presenter;
- Multilingual, fluency in English is essential;
- Ability to use basic Windows or Mac computer packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint or similar;
- Excellent written English; and:-
- Committed to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Previous knowledge of the diving or marine tourism industry;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media;
- Training or experience in behaviour change communications and design for the environment;
- Experience using GSuite including GDrive, Gmail and GCalendar; and:-
- Prior experience working with governments and/or NGOs.
Reef-World believes that a team with diverse experiences and backgrounds generates richer discussions andmore nuanced thinking that will magnify our conservation impact. We strive to be an inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcome and respected. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from anyone with the required skills and experience: whatever their background or location. We actively encourage applications from those whose identities reflect the diversity of the communities and networks we serve and whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in the conservation sector.
30 days a year.
The Directors are based at the Future Leap coworking in Bristol and we have a field office in Dumaguete in thePhilippines. As an international team working across timezones our working policy is flexible and hybrid.
For UK employees, we’ll pay a minimum of 3% or match up to a maximum of 8% per month. You’ll pay a minimum of 5% of your qualifying earnings per month.
A small, friendly (but ambitious) staff team
How to Apply
Please email your CV and a separate attached cover letter specific to this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inyour cover letter, please include how you meet the job specifications and why you feel you’re the best person to help us boost our global conservation impact. If you’re a diver, please include details of your qualification and number of dives.
We will then get back to you after the team has reviewed your application and let you know if we would like to pursue your application. Due to the expected volume of incoming enquiries, the charity does not have the resources to provide feedback on applications that have not been accepted. If you do not hear from us by 20 Jan 2023, then takenote that we have decided not to take your application further, and we wish you the best of luck in your career.
Applications close 8 Jan 2023.
Round 1 of interviews (online) week commencing 16 Jan 2023.
Round 2 of interviews (online) week commencing 30 Jan 2023 (you will be expected to complete a short assignment if you reach this stage).