Rather than a lengthy article about “what to do” and “what not to do” I thought today I would give you a quick top 5 social media mistakes that far too many in the diving industry make.
- Spelling Mistakes – Remember to check what you have written before you hit the “post” or “tweet” button. Incorrect spelling can totally change the meaning and context of a sentence.
- Text Speak – Don’t use it! You are a business who is promoting business services. You are not a 14 year old girl. Don’t use LOL or WTF or BRB or any of the other awful shortened text speak terms. Stay professional.
- Using a Personal Facebook Profile as a business – I can’t stress this one strongly enough. Pages are for business, profiles are for people. Click here to learn more about why I strongly advise you to change your approach.
- Sell, Sell, Sell – Don’t do it. Social media is about “social interaction”. It is not simply a medium for “buy my stuff”. Build a relationship with your followers before you ask them to buy from you.
- Linked Social Networks – Where possible you should unlink them. Posts made on Facebook are out of context when they appear on Twitter (and vice versa). Treat each network independently and know your audience. Cater to what they want to see and don’t be lazy! You can learn more about this by clicking here
I do have a lot more I can share but for now these are my Top 5 pet hates.