18 Annual Sylvan Lake Cleanup 2021
Sunday, Sept 19th, 2021 – with applicable COVID protocols (if required) for this Underwater Lake Cleanup at Sylvan Lake – Main Pier Area.
Wanted – Divers, Paddlers & Shore Support, Plus Shoreline Cleanup Volunteers.
You must RSVP & register on-line via this our AUC.TidyHQ Event Portal: http://thq.fyi/se/jtK7uGU
Hosted by the Alberta Underwater Council and its volunteers, with thanks to Town of Sylvan Lake.
A shoreline & beach area cleanup to be conducted by local volunteers at the same time – organized by the Town of Sylvan Lake COVID-19 Protocols to be followed if needed.
Divers Remember to Bring
- All your dive gear and only one tank! Usually only do one dive to cleanup up underwater due to increased boat traffic in the afternoon.
- Plus: BCD, Regulators, drysuit/wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins, boots, weights, dive computer, hood, gloves, 2-4 extra pounds of lead (max. depth is usually 6-10 feet so extra lead is helpful). Other dive gear that you will find useful to bring: writing slate, compass, a tarp to change on.
- Your certification card and logbook.
- Warm clothing, even if the sun is shining, be prepared for typical Alberta weather which could include rain, snow, and everything in between.
- MUST BRING your own snacks, water, drinks – food is no longer provided due to COVID.
- Small amount of cash for donations, membership, raffle draws (if available)mesh bags & cutting device (safety scissors) provided by the AUC (Alberta Underwater Council).
Paddlers, launch 1/2 hour after our divers submerge but weather dependent (wind/waves).
Remember to Bring:
- Life-Jacket, bailer, spare paddles, whatever you need to be safe out there.
- Appropriate clothing, wetsuits, wetsuit boots, (water temps are getting cold!), footwear, etc.
- Shore Support Workers: assist divers & paddlers, sort trash, record data, remove trash to garbage truck provided by the Town of Sylvan Lake Beach and shoreline cleanup – local volunteers welcome to join in at the same time (organized by the Town of Sylvan Lake).
- Remember to Bring: Appropriate clothing, sturdy footwear, gloves, garbage bags, small container for small metal pieces, broken glass, etc.
- DO NOT pick up needles – please report their location to the Town of Sylvan Lake.
9:00 am Registration & Waivers.
10:00 am Safety Briefing & Divers start.
10:30 am Paddlers Launch (weather permitting).
12:00 pm Clean-up Trash, followed by Prize Presentations (if available).
Sunday September 19, 2021 11:00 am to 2 pm.
Open to anyone on or off Facebook.