The Maritime Museum of BC is pleased to announce that it will re-open to the public on Friday, July 17th. The new Friday hours will be from 10 am to 2 pm by appointment for one-hour time slots. All new procedures have been developed in line with government regulations and the guidelines from Work Safe BC.
“We are very much looking forward to welcoming visitors back into the Museum this Friday,” said David Leverton, Executive Director. “Our digital programs have been successful but nothing can quite replace that in-person experience.”
COVID-19 has created an unprecedented set of challenges for the Museum including the cancelling of the Massive Marine Garage sale; the temporary closure of our All Things Marine Thrift Store at Canoe Cove Marina in North Saanich; and the cancellation of this year’s Victoria Classic Boat Festival. David Leverton stated that: “This is a very important step in the Museum’s re-engagement with the public especially as we continue working on the Museum’s new development plans in the City of Langford.”
Visitors are asked to follow these new procedures when in the Museum:
- No more than 8 visitors, or two separate household groups, are permitted in the space at the same time.
- Please use the hand sanitizer provided upon entering this space. Another Hand Sanitizer Station is available halfway through the exhibit space (if you are not able to use hand sanitizer, we have disposable gloves available).
- All visitors must be wearing a face mask. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide these for visitors at this time.
- We ask that visitors follow the arrows on the floor and practice safe social distancing by staying 6’ or more apart from those who are not from the same household.
- All appointments must be kept to the one-hour period booked. We cannot start an appointment early, and any late appointments will still need to finish on time.
- Our washrooms are not open to the public at this time. We apologize for this inconvenience.
- If you feel ill or have been in recent contact with someone with COVID-19, we ask that you visit us another time.
There is also a new plexiglass barrier and the Gift Shop is running like an old fashioned general store where visitors can browse from in front of the desk and request to see any items they are interested in closer.